Favorite Utility |
XKeymacs is a keyboard utility to realize emacs like-useability on all
windows applications. With XKeymacs you can use emacs keybindings with
any windows application. You can create a keyboard macro and assign any
shortcut key too. You also get bash-like command completion in your DOS
shell. If you do not know Emacs, Xemacs, Mule or Meadow, you probably want
nothing to do with XKeymacs. I began to make XKeymacs because I wanted
to add C-t and C-l to Keymacs. Now that all the functions I want are available,
I think I will burnish XKeymacs by adding new functions that users want
and to fix bugs.
Supported OS: Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista (Internet
Explorer 5.0 is required on Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0.)
- xkeymacs347.zip (198,839 bytes)
It includes xkeymacs.exe, xkeymacs.dll, Readme.txt, Readme_J.txt, dot.xkeymacs, FAQ.txt, FAQ_J.txt, release.txt, release_J.txt, spec.txt and spec_J.txt.
xkeymacssrc347.zip (181,788 bytes)
It is the source code of xkeymacs.exe and xkeymacs.dll. You can compile them by using Microsoft
Visual C++ 6.0.
- You have to install Microsoft Platform Software Development Kit (SDK) and add include/lib directory at the top of list on Directory tab in Options
dialog of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.
xkeymacs347.msi (246,272 bytes)
It is installer of XKeymacs.
xkeymacsins347.zip (218,445 bytes)
It is the source of the installer. You can build them by Microsoft Visual
Archive of old versions
Please tell me your impression, question, request, etc. I announce bug
information and new version release news on this ML.
Known Problems (or Specifications?!)
- C-l does not work well with someapplications.
- M-? by the Alt key is ignored with Microsoft Visual C++ or Netscape. (It
works well if you retry.)
- C-r works as C-s with Internet Explorer if Find dialog does not appear.
- C-t, etc. do not work well with command prompt.
- C-k works as C-f on an edit box for a password.
- XKeymacs version 1.16 and later will be occured Invalid Page Fault error
of Kernel32.dll on Windows 95.
(But only the dialog pop up, OS and/or applications are never ABEND.)
- XKeymacs causes an application error when you shutdown Windows NT.
- XKeymacs conflicts with X-mouse of Tweak UI.
- XKeymacs conflicts with KbdAcc. (Acceleration does not work well in some
The xkeymacs.exe require the mfc42.dll and the msvcrt.dll. If your system
does not have these files, the xkeymacs.exe pop up an error message. When
an error message is poped up, you must get the mfc42.dll (ex. from here) and the msvcrt.dll and put them in the directry which include the xkeymacs.exe.